HANBURY BOTANICAL GARDENS - TRIP CODE: HANBURY
The Hanbury Botanical Gardens are located a few kilometers from the French border, on the promontory of Capo Mortola (Ventimiglia): they occupy an area of about 18 hectares.
The promontory enjoys an exceptionally mild climate; the existence of different microclimates has favored the planting and the acclimatization of essences coming from all over the world.
Created by Sir Thomas Hanbury in 1867, the botanical gardens have become one of the most important acclimatization parks in the world.
In 1960 the Italian state bought the complex from the heirs, and in 1962, it was entrusted to the International Institute of Ligurian Studies which, in 1979, renounced the post-war reconstruction commitment.
In 1987 the management was entrusted to the University of Genoa.